Starting a Child Care Center
Child Care Center Application Process:
1) You must first contact the Division of Child Development to request the Basic Information for Potential Providers booklet. You may call (919)662-4499 or toll free 1-800-859-0829.
2) There is a Pre-Licensing Workshop that all new providers must attend before obtaining a license. The cost for the workshop is $100.00 for one person and this includes a copy of the Child Care Handbook that outlines the North Carolina licensing requirements. The workshop is a two day course focusing on topics such as:
- Issues to consider in selecting both a site and a building for a Child Care Center
- The role of building, fire and sanitation inspectors and child care consultants
- Requirements for caring for young children
3) After attending the Pre-licensing workshop you will receive the name and number of the Licensing supervisor in your area. The Licensing supervisor will assign a child care consultant to work with you throughout the process. The consultant will schedule several pre-licensing visits to discuss licensing requirements and the application forms.
4) Once it has been determined that all applicable requirements are met, the license will be issued.
To find out more information or obtain the Pre-Licensing Workshop schedule online visit the Division of Child Development’s website at www.ncchildcare.net.